When I created this blog I decided to set up a “blog” subdomain for it so now the blog is accessible via blog.davidecoppola.com instead of www.davidecoppola.com/blog/.
A simple thing to do, but a neat feature for your website.
To set up the subdomain I started creating a new CName field in my DNS panel:
the “Host” value has be the subdomain (“blog” in this case) and it has to “Point to” the main IP address associated with the domain (in my panel “@” is an alias for it). The “TTL” field is used by DNS server to control caching of values and I used the default value for it.
After that I connected to my server via SSH and edited the .conf file associated to this website adding the following lines at the end:
<VirtualHost *:80> DocumentRoot "/path/to/www/subdomaindir" ServerName subdomain.domain.com </VirtualHost>
When using Apache 2 the .conf file should be in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ or /etc/apache2/sites-available/ (if your website is not enabled yet) and obviously you need to replace those string with the proper data.
Finally you need to restart Apache to get the changes working:
# apache2ctl restart
# service apache2 restart